Friday, August 29, 2014

Review: Nuna Pepp Stroller




I ordered a Nuna Pepp stroller from the Nordstrom summer 2014 Anniversary Sale because I loved how easy it looked to open, close, and move about.  This is important to me because I have hip and back issues.  My other criteria in a stroller is that it be flame retardant free, which Nuna claims this is, and also relatively lightweight (this is19lbs).

Let's take this out of the box.  It's nice and flat! It easily stands on end, and can be wheeled around by the handle much like a carry-on suitcase.  The latch to keep it locked flat is a rubber strap with holes that fit securley over a little nub. It is super easy to lift open, with no wear and tear on my bad hip and back.

Once it's open, however, the footrest on mine sticks straight out every time and has to be manually adjusted with both hands if one wants it in the down position.  Likewise, the latch strap sticks out and needs to be tucked in.  
Why is this stroller in my garage, you ask? I have chemical sensitivities and it smelled too strong for me, even in the box, to stay in my living room.  It struck me that a lot of the odor was from the fabric seat and unfortunately only spot cleaning is recommended instead of washing.  

The purple color "blackberry" is really nice and upscale looking, as is the form of the stroller itself (despite my husband's assesment of it as an office chair in both fabric and design).  It also felt pretty stable, and wheeled around easily.

I removed the seat from the frame--easy enough to do with some measure of un-snapping and un-velcroing. Nuna claims the fabric is Oeko-Tex certified. I haven't asked about a certificate, and assume they use a certified manufacturer since Nuna itself isn't in the database, and there is no Oeko-Tex tag on the seat.

I was surprised the main seat fabric is actually a bit textured and even mesh-like.  My assumption is that it helps quell heat and sweat.  It honestly felt a little bit on the cheap side, but that might just be the nature of the fabric.  The seat itself is thin but adequate--definitely not what I'd describe as "plush" or "cushy"-- and when you open the velcro under the seat you can see the main support is a corrugated plastic (typical I think of many strollers), and layered with a sewn in padding comprised of 20% polyester batting and 80% polurethane foam.

 The basket is puny and hard to reach.  I was unable to stuff a nearly empty modestly sized Ju-Ju-Be B.F.F. diaper bag into it.  It would be more suited to a small sized purse with maybe a little room for a book or a snack.  There are no other places to stow items such as a mesh bag on the back of the seat, and there are no available storage accessories for it.  I found the handlebar too slick to hang my diaper bag from it....I was sort of able to sling it over on one strap but it didn't look nice.


While we're here with the bare frame, let's take a look at how to fold down the calf/footrest.  There are two small buttons on either side of the base which are easily depressed (yet securely locked) to adjust it either the traditional knees bent position, a completely upright position, and to what my toddler loved was a lazy-boy type position. But let's hope you have two hands!

Another quick note about the frame is that it's only compatible with a few European car seats: Nuna Pipp, Cybex Anton, and the Maxi-Cosi models Mico and Pico.  That's something to keep in mind if you think it might truly be a "birth to toddler" stroller accessible to everyone (I say this because these are more expensive, hard to find car seats--which *might* be worth finding because they do get great reviews and safety ratings).

The footwell is a flexible plastic fabric and with a bit of a nubby texture.  There is mesh on the interior side (on the other side is the basket).  It is very shallow and doesn't seem very funcational.

Next I tested the foot brake and that was pretty great.  Very easy to quickly push with the foot.

I then reattached the seat (pretty straightforward) and unzipped the back to check out the recline.

 There are two sets of nice quality plastic zippers with a thick pull tab on both sides.  This two zipper design is a bit of a hassle, and limits adjustability, but keeps things neat I suppose.  It definitely did not recline as far back as I'd hoped and definitely not flat.




I adjusted the handlebar.  There are two easily adjustable (yet secure) tabs on the handlebar and it slides up to a respectable height for me at 5"8'.  I think it would be enough height for a taller person, too.  The grip itself is a smooth, firmer plastic.

Then I and added the hood or sunshade.  It was pretty simple to attach by tucking the end through to the back of the stroller and snapping it in place.  Easy to remove, too.  There is a tiny plastic window and I don't know if it's PVC or not, but I'd wager it was PVC based on the plastic smell.  It seems a bit of an odd little addition--not quite large enough to be functional, but perhaps better than nothing--although I detest PVC and it's one reason I got rid of my BOB stroller (that and the polyurethane coating on BOB the fabric).


The seat depth seemed a little shallow, but the height on the backrest was OK.  I don't know if I got a defective shade, but mine did not allow for the tiny inner shade to pull out and extend beyond the fully extended outer shade.  Either way, I found it lacking and definitely not adequate for a stroll down my agressively sunny Los Angeles sidewalk.


Next, we look at the harness.  This stroller isn't easily adjustable with the harness which you have to unthread and rethread based on the height you want.  The photo on the right is of the back.  (sorry the color is off  in these two shots).  As you can see no storage on the back, and also no storage for drinks or a belly bar-- even as an optional acessory.  Only accessories per their site are the optional car seat attachment bar, rain cover (I'd ask for sure if this was PVC), foot muff, travel/storage bag and a washable seat insert pad.


 THEN we come to one feature that might be a deal breaker for me.  The harness.  I dislike the flimy, cheap feeling fabric straps and I detest the five point puzzle harness design!  To use it is extremly finicky.  The two smaller top pieces have to be put just-so into the larger ones and then clicked into the main base.  If you manage to do it correctly the first time, the release seems pretty toddler proof, at least.

I honestly couldn't get it to work as a three-point harness because in order to get the top straps to click into the round base, you have to lock them into the bottom ones.  So it's sort of false advertising there.

The little foam shoulder pads seemed OK, a little flimsy, but maybe prone to flipping (although I can't say for sure).



By the end of my assembly on the smooth, relatively clean garage floor, the wheels, which I'd taken great care not to get dirty, were covered in dust and even had little indents once I wiped them clean, so I don't think these would wear very well on my gravel driveway. They are sort of a firm but giving rubber material that pits very easily.

The front wheel locks were easy to depress and seemed to work well.  I didn't notice any special kind of suspension but I also didn't take it for much of a test drive, so cannot comment much on that.

I also briefly had part of the nose on the floor and it also was a tiny bit scuffed, which makes me worry this stroller might not wear that well in terms of bumps and knicks (again, I'm only making assumptions based on my short time with this stroller).




I returned this stroller and because I don't like certain features and I don't think it's well rounded enough to justify the expense.  I think my City Mini is better bang for the buck.  Plus, I am not certain which car seat I'll be using, and I honestly don't want more than one stroller.

I LOVE the easy folding and opening, and pull along feature--it would probably really help my back and hip issue.  No more having to lug a stroller down to the car--you would still have to lift it into the trunk, but it really is quite sleek and flat.

You can see my almost 2.5 year old fits pretty well here but I don't think he would be comfortable for much longer.  The seat is just barely deep enough, just barely wide enough, and the footwell probably not adequate enough.  Height wise seemed OK but also would be outgrown too quickly.  He's on the taller end of the scale, but thin, and he has friends his age who are the same size so he's not a giant.

 

Compared to my City Mini the sun shade is laughable.  No attachments available, footprint is probably about the same but the seat is much less accomodating, and bad storage underneath.

I am tempted to say this stroller has an identity crisis.  It's definitely more of a city stroller or around the smooth block stroller, esp. if you want something better than an umbrella stroller but less cumbersome than a jogging one.  And want something stylish, but are too brokke for a Stokke.  If you have any of the Euro car seats it is compatible with it might well be worth it!  It's a nice stroller, despite the things I disliked about it.

I've seen photos of celebrities pushing it around in London and it seems well suited to that (so long as you have the rain cover, which would probably take up most of the basket storage space!). Probably easy to stow in your trunk or take on the public transportation.

While I think this stroller might be a good investment for some people, it's not for me.  Compared to my City Mini single, my husband called out the Nuna Pepp as being a "fancy fail," which I think is funny because to some degree it's true, but also a little bit unfair because for the right person this stroller might be great.  Still, I was a little surprised at all of the positive reviews on Nordstrom's website.

This is from the Nuna website, with my notes of "true" or "false" depending on my own findings.

smart design

  • a chic, unique ride from the moment baby enters the world through toddlerhood  (ONLY IF YOU PURCHASE THE CAR SEAT ATTACHMENT SEPARATELY FOR APPROX. $50 AND USE ONE OF FOUR SPECIFIC CAR SEATS)
  • folds down to a flat backpack size for trunks, taxis, airplanes and tight entryways (TRUE: THIS IS A GREAT FEATURE)
  • opens easily with just one hand (TRUE: THIS IS A GREAT FEATURE)
  • stands on its own when folded (TRUE: THIS IS A GREAT FEATURE)
  • two-position, adjustable calf support comforts little nappers (TRUE: THIS IS A GREAT FEATURE, BUT ONE NEGATIVE IS WHEN YOU OPEN IT YOU HAVE TO FOLD THIS SUPPORT DOWN YOURSELF WITH BOTH HANDS)
  • made with plush, cushy, better for baby certified Oeko-Tex® fabric  (MAYBE: I WOULD NOT SAY IT IS VERY 'PLUSH" OR "CUSHY" AND I ASSUME THEY HAVE OEKO-TEX CERTIFIED FABRIC AND ARE FLAME RETARDANT)
  • three or five point anti-loop harness, featuring quick click release button provides ultimate safety and peace of mind (I COULD NOT GET THE THREE POINT TO WORK, I DETEST THE FIVE POINT HARNESS, DIFFICULT TO ADJUST HEIGHT OF STRAPS, AND FLIMSY FEELING STRAPS)
  • one-touch, rear wheel braking system is so easy (TRUE: THIS IS A GREAT FEATURE)
  • stays put with front wheel swivel locks (TRUE: THIS IS A GREAT FEATURE)
  • three-position full recline cradles baby (NOT REALLY TRUE! SEE PHOTO ABOVE)
  • progressive suspension technology gives a nice, smooth ride (POSSIBLY, I DID NOT TEST THIS FEATURE)
  • height-adjusting handle for drivers small and tall (TRUE: THIS IS A GREAT FEATURE)
  • various accessory options for every little want or need (ONLY IF YOUR NEED IS A RAIN COVER: USUAL ACCESSORIES SUCH AS BELLY BAR, SNACK TRAY, OR EVEN ADEQUATE STORAGE IS NOT AVAILABLE)
  • conforms to ASTM safety standards and is JPMA certified

specifications

  • recommended use: birth to 50 lbs (NOT SURE WHAT 50 POUNDER WOULD FIT COMFORTABLY? MY SON IS ONLY 30 LBS AND I DON"T THINK HE WOULD LAST MUCH LONGER IN THIS)
  • product dimensions: 41.3/37.4 in high • 21.7 in wide • 33.1/29.1 in deep
  • folded dimensions: 28.74 in high • 21.7 in wide • 10.2 in deep
  • product weight: 19 lbs

For reference, the other strollers I've owned:

BOB Revolution CE: I LOVED this stroller but it was too heavy for my hip/back problem and it also aggravated it by the method of opening.  It also smelled to chemical high heaven with a coating of polyurethane on the fabric and a stinky PVC window, and very rubbery tires--none of which had aired out after several months.  But it was so well built and felt like a Rolls Royce on the pavement. Still, I sold it.

City Mini GT: After the BOB Revolution CE, this was a definite step down in terms of handling and quality.  However, it was definitely smaller and slightly less heavy, and a pretty good hybrid of a light jogging stroller but with the good features of the City Mini.  Great features like washable seat, respectable storage, easy of manuevering, general compactness, removable tires, good accessories (although I wish some were included with purchase).  I liked this but sold it because it was still too heavy and the open/close procedure hurt my hip/back.  It really isn't meant for jogging, either.

City Mini: I still have this but am hoping the company will swap out my 2012 potentially flame retardant laden cover.  Will try and review these three strollers more in depth and link here later.


No comments:

Post a Comment